Welcome to Dizzy for Kindergarten! Launched...

Welcome to Dizzy for Kindergarten - a blog for teachers!

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Literacy Centers - Round 1

We began our first rotation of literacy centers this week, to actual cheers! (This is one of the many reasons why I love kindergarten!)  One of my centers is the pocket chart center.  The first few weeks I want the kids to focus on learning the routine, where to find the materials, how to choose a center and staying at it the entire time, etc.  Since these are my main goals, I purposely try and put fun/easier centers for the kids to do.  Typically, at the pocket chart center I have kids sort pictures by either shapes, or colors - but since the addition of 4K at our school, I decided I would make it a little more challenging and see how they do.  I planned on having them sort cards into letters, numbers, OR shapes, to see who knew the difference!  (Of course I kept my color and shape sorting nearby for those who needed it.)  I was pleasantly surprised to see how well everyone did with the activity!  Only a few kids needed the "easier version" (but isn't that what differentiation is all about?)  Anyways, you can download the pieces I used for free below and try it out for yourself!

Download it HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment