Welcome to Dizzy for Kindergarten! Launched...

Welcome to Dizzy for Kindergarten - a blog for teachers!

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Memory Card Lost.... and found - in time for the 100th day!

OK, so it's been awhile since I last blogged... but I seem to have "misplaced" the memory card from my camera!  I know I had it in my hand, and then.....   well, long story short, I eventually found it... IN THE BATHROOM!  Not sure if one of my cats carted it off (it was found on their favorite towel/rug to sit on...), or I am just completely losing my mind!  Needless to say, that was not one of the MANY places I searched for it!  So, this post may jump a bit from my last one,  as I couldn't take pictures of everything I wanted to (for obvious reasons).

100th Day has come and gone!  I was surprised to see how many people celebrate it in January!  I thought ours was really early on Feb. 4th, but then again we have a state law that says school cannot start prior to Sept. 1, due to the tourism industry.  Tourism, in Wisconsin?  Anyways, I'm sure there are several school who start in August, so that would make sense.  Here are a few of the things we did.  We couldn't get to everything I wanted as half my class was sick, and the ones who were at school begged me to have rest time where 5 of them fell asleep in under 20 minutes!  Clearly they needed it!

We did the standard 100 fruit loop necklace.  To help the kids count by 10's I have "counting maps" which seem to work a lot better than other ways that I've tried.

I also hid 100 Hershey kisses around the room.  I put dot labels with the numbers 1-100 and the kids have to find them - one at a time - to prevent hoarding.  Then they have to place it in the correct spot on the 100 grid.  I've done this activity for several years, and only 1 time we didn't find them all.
If they wanted to eat one (or more) I would hold up a number flashcard.  If they could read the number, they had to find that Hershey kiss, remove it from the number grid, and eat it.  YUM!

As a family project we made "100 day hats".  Each child purchased a bucket style hat (we ordered form OTC) which they had to decorate with 100 of something on it.  I am always amazed at the creativity!  I'd love to show you ALL of them, but I'm one of those people who don't like posting kid faces on the internet, so these were two shots where the whole face isn't visible.  1 kid put 100 safety pins, while the other put 100 buttons and 100 roses!  I had one kid put 100 yellow feathers - he looked like big bird!




We wrote our name on the 100 grid, and then colored all of each of the same letter the same color.  The kids thought it was cool to see the patterns it made!  Pick up a your copy HERE (along with few other 100 day activities!).


As a class we had to find and color numbers on the 100 grid that revealed a picture. (The number 100!)  I usually make each kid do their own, but decided to do it on the Promethean board together using the 100 grid from abcya.com.  This seemed to work out better as there wasn't any: "I can't find that number!  What was it again?  Is the 2 first?" etc.  I think next time I will make them stick to one color though!


In computers, we used the FREE Linux based program TuxPaint (kind of like Kid Pix) to create 100 pictures. Yes, it works on both Windows based PC's and Macs :)

ANd of course the excitement of the day was getting to 100 in our calendar routine!  We add a penny for each day of school, as well as a base 10 block, and today we got to trade them in for a dollar 9we think we are rich!) and a 100 flat!  Woo hoo!

 

We did a bunch of other things, but for whatever reason, I didn't take pictures of them!  Oh well, there is always next year!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - I just found your through TPT blogs. I'm your newest follower. I teach first grade in CA. I love their sweet little hats with 100 things on them...so cute! Swing by my blog I just posted Dr. Suess pics.
    Vicky
    Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memory card in the bathroom? That is a mystery waiting to be unravel. Well, I do hope that you were able to salvage the files. Is the card still working? Anyway, I do hope to see more of your photos, especially your art projects. Update us! - Marko

    ReplyDelete